Author: Philip Davis Publisher: Springer Science & Business Media ISBN: 9780817682958 Release Date: 2011-10-28 Genre: MathematicsWinner of the 1983 National Book Award! "...a perfectly marvelous book about the Queen of Sciences, from which one will get a real feeling for what mathematicians do and who they are. The exposition is clear and full of wit and humor..." - The New Yorker (1983 National Book Award edition) Mathematics has been a human activity for thousands of years. Yet only a few people from the vast population of users are professional mathematicians, who create, teach, foster, and apply it in a variety of situations. The authors of this book believe that it should be possible for these professional mathematicians to explain to non-professionals what they do, what they say they are doing, and why the world should support them at it. They also believe that mathematics should be taught to non-mathematics majors in such a way as to instill an appreciation of the power and beauty of mathematics. Many people from around the world have told the authors that they have done precisely that with the first edition and they have encouraged publication of this revised edition complete with exercises for helping students to demonstrate their understanding. This edition of the book should find a new generation of general readers and students who would like to know what mathematics is all about. It will prove invaluable as a course text for a general mathematics appreciation course, one in which the student can combine an appreciation for the esthetics with some satisfying and revealing applications. The text is ideal for 1) a GE course for Liberal Arts students 2) a Capstone course for perspective teachers 3) a writing course for mathematics teachers. A wealth of customizable online course materials for the book can be obtained from Elena Anne Marchisotto ([email protected]) upon request.
- Understanding Organization Through Culture and Structure: Relational and Other Lessons From the African American Organization (Routledge Communication Series)
- The MELT Method: A Breakthrough Self-Treatment System to Eliminate Chronic Pain, Erase the Signs of Aging, and Feel Fantastic in Just 10 Minutes a Day!
- The Everything Enneagram Book: Identify Your Type Gain Insight into Your Personality and Find Success in Life Love and Business (Everything®)
- Tyranny on Trial: The Trial of the Major German War Criminals at the End of the World War II at Nuremberg Germany 1945-1946 (Revised Edition)
- The Holocaust and Its Religious Impact: A Critical Assessment and Annotated Bibliography (Bibliographies and Indexes in Religious Studies)
- Behavioral Health: Integrating Individual and Family Interventions in the Treatment of Medical Conditions (Family Therapy and Counseling)
- The Dynamics of Asian Labour Markets: Balancing Control and Flexibility (Routledge Studies in the Growth Economies of Asia)
- Criminal Procedure and the Constitution Leading Supreme Court Cases and Introductory Text (American Casebook Series)
- BIFF: Quick Responses to High-Conflict People Their Personal Attacks Hostile Email and Social Media Meltdowns
- Schnelles Eingreifen bei Mobbing: Strategien für die Praxis. Ratgeber für Lehrer als E-Book (German Edition)
- Block-Buster Quilts - I Love Nine Patches: 16 Quilts from an All-Time Favorite Block (Block Buster Quilts)
- ¡Señor, que mis hijos te amen! - Con guía de estudio: Nueva edición ampliada y revisada (Spanish Edition)
- Equality for Same-Sex Couples: The Legal Recognition of Gay Partnerships in Europe and the United States
- Cosmopolitan Government in Europe: Citizens and Entrepreneurs in Postnational Politics (Interventions)